Chana Masala: Chickpea curry





Last week in an animated move, I knocked over my boss's glass Inukshuk and broke it. She said I could make up for it by making her some delicious chana. I’m not really sure what kind she meant, so I’m going to attempt to make this recipe which is cooked in a tomato gravy and also a kala chana version which uses black chana with coconut. Hopefully this and the super glued Inukshuk will erase this from her memory. 

Updated recipe - I prepped for a smaller quantity and made it simpler.

1 medium onion chopped (about 5oz/142 gms)
1 green chilli sliced
1 tsp each ginger and garlic paste
1 tsp each cumin(jeera), chilli(lal mirch), turmeric(haldi), coriander, pepper and chaat masala
1 small can tomato paste 156 ml
1 small can canned garbanzo beans
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
Water 

salt

Lets start with the chickpeas, you can either use the canned chickpeas or buy them dried, soak them overnight and boil them in hot salted water for a half hour or more till cooked. I prefer the later, since it omits all the preservatives but if I haven’t planned ahead, I just use the can.

This gravy needs to be a soupy consistency so the cooked chana can simmer in it. Start with the onions, fry them till golden brown, then add the chillies and the ginger and garlic paste. Add the all the dry spices. Then add the tomato paste and stir.  Add a glass of water, salt and cover and cook. Cook this gravy for 5 mins, stirring at intervals, tasting and adding water.Add the chick peas, salt, taste, cover and cook for another 5-10 mins. Add the fenugreek leaves and the coriander leaves after the gas has been turned off.

Great with rotis or jeera rice.

Also see: Paneer Masala

5 comments:

  1. Karen your recipes sound easy. I am going to try this one. Keep it up girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen I think you should continue to make food for your boss to bring home..OMG the best Chana Masala: Chickpea Curry ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha Thanks!!!!! That was the first time I made it ....will send more food for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good post and informative.

    I think this is very delicious recipe. I like it very much, I have tried this dish once by using chana masala powder from Cee Pee Spices and got a great taste and enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete