Tendli masala – Spicy Gherkins




Tendli, Tindora or Gherkins are a childhood favourite. My mom used to grow them in our tiny little balcony in Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately the Canadian weather won’t allow me to grown my own but I’m lucky to get a steady supply at my local Indian grocers. The tendli can be cut in 4 horizontally or in little discs. Both taste equally good.

1 medium red onion chopped
1tsp mustard seeds (yellow or black)
4 – 6 curry leaves
1 ripe chopped tomato
½ tsp cumin powder (jeera)
½ tsp turmeric (haldi)
½ tsp coriander powder
300 gms tendli chopped the way you like.
Salt
Pepper

Heat some oil in a sauté pan. Fry the onions, mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the onions are nice and brown, add the chopped tomato and cook for a few minutes covered till the tomato is mushy. Add the tendli and dry spice powders, salt and pepper, mix and cover. Cook for another 15 mins.


No comments:

Post a Comment