Kala Chana: Black chana

I’m not a huge fan of chana masala, but this version using black chana and coconut is my favorite and is eaten a lot in Goa where I am from. You can use frozen grated coconut or just buy a coconut, split it in half, pry out the flesh and grind it. You cannot use sweet or unsweetened desiccated coconut.
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 red onion finely chopped
1 green chilli finely chopped
1 pod of garlic chopped
2 cups soaked and cooked black chana
juice of half a lemon
Spices ¼ tbsp chilli powder, ½ tbsp turmeric, 1 tbsp garam masala
1 cup grated or ground coconut
1 cup water
salt
pepper


Fry the onion, green chilli and garlic. Add the mustard seeds. Add all the dry spices and cook for a minute. Add the chana and water cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the juice of a half lemon, salt and pepper. Finally add the ground coconut cook for another minute and serve!

4 comments:

  1. I love this dish too. Thanks Karen!
    - Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, what's chana? I could just google it but I bet you'll have a more interesting answer! Julie

    ReplyDelete