Lobster Mac & Cheese – The 100 recipe K-hallenge



I love Lu Curran, my co-worker and friend. She was the first follower on my blog and in her honor, I decided to try her recipe first. She’s also our style maven Visit stylebylu.com


It was just kismet that it happened to be the day of the Oscars. Lobster with any thing makes anything glamorous, and this mac and cheese is no exception! I halved this recipe from it’s original quantities since I didn’t want to be eating mac & cheese forever! I’ve never cooked lobster before and I must admit, I struggled with it even though I only bought tails. If you want to make this without the struggle here are some tips http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Cook-Lobster-155909342


500 gms dried macaroni or elbowpasta
1/2 cup chopped white onion (I used red)
1 cloves chopped garlic
2 -3 tbsps all-purpose flour, or as needed
Salt
White pepper
White truffle oil (I didn’t buy this as I thought 11.99 for a tiny bottle was ridiculous)
Kosher salt (I used regular salt)
500 milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
2 cups Gruyere cheese (I forgot to pick this up and used Asiago)
1 extra-sharp Cheddar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
300 gms (approx 3 tails) pounds cooked lobster
1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed) ( I used brown bread and left the crust in … I also added fresh ground pepper and a half cup of Asiago)
1 cup chopped mushrooms (I love mushrooms, and I just had to add it)

Boil 3 litres of water, add salt and boil the pasta for 8 mins and drain. Cook the lobster with some oil and keep aside to cool. Heat the 6 tbsps of butter, add the onion and garlic. When it’s translucent, add the flour one tbsp at a time and keep stirring. Add the milk and let it come to a boil. Shut of the heat and add the white pepper and three cups of cheese. It may look like the milk is breaking but don’t worry, just keep stirring. Add the pasta and the chopped lobster.


Heat 2 tbsps of butter and add to three slices of fresh breadcrumbs. Also add some black pepper and a half cup of Asiago. (In my opinion, the crust is the best part of this)

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 - 45 mins.


K-Comments - I'd defiantly make this again. Maybe not with Lobster since it's crazy expensive, but perhaps with turkey bacon for the kids. This could have easily been rated easy, but i struggled with the lobster. Note I had a great little helper!

2 comments:

  1. Don't you need to bake this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!!!!! You need to check all my posts. Part of this is missing.

    ReplyDelete