Mustard Chicken curry: I totally made this up

One thing I do have is a lack of fear in the kitchen. What’s the worst that could happen? My family will hate what I made and a perfectly good chicken will get tossed into the trash, and I will live to blog about it!

I came home today after a super long day at work and what better to relax than cook up a little experiment in the kitchen <insert evil laugh>.

Grind to a dry powder: 2- 3 star anise, seeds from 3 cardamoms, 1 stick of cinnamon, 2 tsps cumin seeds, 2 tsps peppercorns, 2 dried red chillies(can substitute red chilli powder), ½ tsp cloves.

Add I tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste, juice of half a lemon and grind again.

1 full chicken, marinate with salt, pepper and ½ tsp turmeric(haldi)

2-3 glasses of water

1 big red onion finely chopped

2 large tomatoes finely chopped

3-4 tbsps mustard oil
1tbsp mustard seeds

½ cup finely chopped corriander



Heat the mustard oil in a sauté pan. Add the mustard seeds and chicken. Lightly brown the chicken and remove from pan. Don’t worry if the chicken isn’t cooked, it will be returned to the pan. Add the ground spices paste to the sauté pan, followed by the tomatoes. Cover and cook.

In a separate pan cook the onions till golden brown.

Add water as required to the tomatoes and spice mixture as required. Add chicken. Cook for 20 mins, stirring occasionally and adding water and salt as required. Add the fried onions. Cook for another 10 mins. Garnish with coriander.

K-ratings: The kids thought the chicken was bland - note to self, marinate the chicken longer. Mac loved this curry, he thanked me again in the morning so it must have been good!

3 comments:

  1. Karen, you need to do just one post on all the spices you have (with pictures!)

    I get confused with so many spices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the fact this is insanely spicy looking and there's no way my pathetic, un-cultured, un-witty, un-distinguished palate could tolerate it ---- I inexplicably still want some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this informative information about Anise Seed Powder with us. It's very helpful. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete